Thursday, March 18, 2010

meeting of the minds

So tomorrow is the meeting of the minds. In other words, the meeting between parents, teachers, student, principal and apparently special education teacher. Should be awesome. Unfortunately, nothing ever seems to get accomplished at these 7:20 am meetings, since the teachers need to leave at 7:45 to go to their class. What we basically get accomplished is, the teachers tell us all the things T3 is doing wrong and then they leave us to figure things out with the counselor. As you can imagine that works out just wonderfully. Quite obvious by the fact that this will be our 4th or so meeting in the past 4-5 months. I'm getting the impression that the counselor doesn't do a very good job of passing the information on to the teachers once the meeting is over. The idea of "let's try this ..." would likely be most useful to the people who actually deal with the child on a daily basis, not the guy who deals with the child when the teachers get fed up with him and send him to the office. Oh it shall be a lovely start to the day tomorrow. Especially when T1 goes off on everyone and tells them to stop the b.s. of suspending T3 for stupid little crap. Seriously, I was on their side at the beginning, but they are becoming ridiculous. I mean, really?!? You are going to suspend a child for not turning back around in his chair. Am I missing part of the story? I better be, or I will lose my mind with them tomorrow.

But, my real question is, where on earth do I find information about helping an ADHD child, when both dad and step-mom are also ADHD? How can we help a child do the things that we cannot do ourselves? I can't organize myself so how do I help him? I can't stay on track or stay focused, so how do I help him? I can't establish my own routine so how do I help him? I can't even get to work or anywhere else on time, so how do I teach him the importance of being on time? This is an ongoing struggle which I wish someone could help me understand how to deal with. I read lots of things to try and help myself as an ADHD adult as well. It's just so overwhelming, I'm not sure where to start and how to keep up.

Well an early morning is approaching quickly ...

No comments:

Post a Comment